Due to the risk of wildfire this long weekend Alberta Parks have closed several provincial parks.
Here's the current list of closures:
- Young’s Point Provincial Park
- Williamson Provincial Park
- Smoke Lake Provincial Recreation Area
- Saskatoon Island Provincial Park
- Winagami Lake Provincial Park
- Brazeau Reservoir Provincial Recreation Area
- Two Lakes Provincial Park
- Iosegun Lake Provincial Recreation Area
- Waskahigan River Provincial Recreation Area
- Blue Rapids Provincial Recreation Area
- Minnow Lake Provincial Recreation Area
- Wolf Lake West Provincial Recreation Area
They're also asking people that like to camp on Crown land to be extra cautious as there is a moderate to high fire danger in the southern Rocky Mountains.
This has led to a fire ban and an off-highway vehicle restriction in effect across the Forest Protection Area.
While the majority of affected areas are in northern Alberta including the Edson, Grande Prairie, High Level, Peace River, Slave Lake and Whitecourt Forest areas it also applies to the Rocky Mountain House Forest Area north of Highway 11.
Outdoor recreation such as backcountry camping, mountain biking and hiking in these areas is not recommended.
If you have already booked a campsite in an affected area, you will get a refund.
The list of closures will continue to be updated online.
To check the air quality you can click on the Air Quality Health Index link before heading out.
There are currently 93 active wildfires in the Forest Protection Area with 26 of them listed as out of control.
Keep updated on the wildfire situation on the Alberta Wildfire Status Dashboard website.
Fire bans are in place for more than 280 provincial parks and rec areas and over 200 Forestry, Parks and Tourism staff members will be out this weekend enforcing closures, restrictions and fire bans.