The Province of Alberta has declared this week as Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is known as the silent killer, the gas is odorless, tasteless and invisible with those factors taken into account it can be deadly.
If you have been exposed to CO you may feel certain symptoms like headaches, fatigue, watering and burning eyes, dizziness and weakness, nausea and vomiting and possibly loss of muscle control. This can happen in your home, garage, or your car and in other small enclosed spaces.
The Strathmore Fire Department wants to remind everyone to check all CO detectors you have in the home to ensure they are in good working order and replace batteries, or detector if needed.
At home, there are ways to prevent exposure to CO. Have your furnace and other natural gas appliances checked regularly by a qualified technician. In the garage, it is best to not idle a vehicle even with the garage door open, ensure the garage is properly ventilated, and maintain the garage heater according to manufacturers instructions.
It is recommended to install at least one CO detector per floor in any home if only one CO detector is in a home it is also recommended to place that near any bedrooms. Be sure to mark the expiry date where you can see it and to keep it clean vacuum it monthly.