As of February 24 2:30 p.m., the cold warning has been lifted by Environment Canada.
Environment Canada has issued an extreme cold warning for Strathmore and surrounding areas tonight. With temperatures getting close to -40, Environment Canada advises people to stay inside and monitor for potential health issues associated with extreme cold.
"Watch for cold related symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, muscle pain and weakness, numbness and colour change in fingers and toes," Environment Canada said.
"Risks are greater for young children, older adults, people with chronic illnesses, people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter."
The full list of areas impacted by the current warning are:
- Co. of Newell near Bassano
- Co. of Newell near Brooks Rosemary and Duchess
- Co. of Newell near Gem
- Co. of Newell near Scandia and Kinbrook Island Prov. Park
- Foothills Co. near Blackie
- M.D. of Taber near Enchant
- Rocky View Co. near Chestermere Dalroy and Dalemead
- Siksika Res. 146
- Vulcan Co. near Arrowwood Herronton and Queenstown
- Vulcan Co. near Carmangay and Champion
- Vulcan Co. near Lomond Travers and Little Bow Reservoirs
- Vulcan Co. near Milo
- Vulcan Co. near Vulcan and Ensign
- Wheatland Co. near Hussar
- Wheatland Co. near Standard and Gleichen
- Wheatland Co. near Strathmore Lyalta and Carseland
While it's extremely cold now and for the immediate future, Saturday could see a huge weather reversal as we have a high of just -1 that day.