Strathmore and these surrounding areas are currently under a heat warning:
- Wheatland Co. near Hussar
- Wheatland Co. near Standard and Gleichen
- Wheatland Co. near Strathmore Lyalta and Carseland
- Siksika Res. 146
- Rocky View Co. near Chestermere Dalroy and Dalemead
Temperatures reaching 30 degrees Celsius combined with overnight lows near 15 degrees Celsius are expected for the next day. Temperatures reaching 30 degrees Celsius combined with overnight lows near 15 degrees are forecast to begin Tuesday.
Residents of and visitors to the warned regions are advised to take the following precautions to protect themselves, their families and their neighbours:
- Consider rescheduling outdoor activities to cooler hours of the day.
- Take frequent breaks from the heat, spending time in cooled indoor spaces where possible.
- Drink plenty of water and other non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated beverages to stay hydrated.
- Check for your children or pets before you exit your vehicle. Do not leave any person or pet inside a closed vehicle, for any length of time.
Monitor for symptoms of heat stroke or heat exhaustion, such as high body temperature, lack of sweat, confusion, fainting, and unconsciousness.
Pay particular attention to individuals that can experience earlier or more severe effects from heat including infants, children, seniors, and individuals with pre-existing lung, heart, kidney, nervous system, mental health or diabetic conditions, outdoor workers, as well as those who are socially isolated.