On April 27 at around 3:51 p.m., Strathmore General Investigation Section (GIS) members with assistance from Drumheller GIS and Strathmore General Duty members arrested a man and woman in connection to an ongoing drug trafficking investigation in the parking lot of a local retail store. At approximately 4:35 p.m., Strathmore GIS executed a search warrant on the individual's home in the 800 block of Brentwood Crescent. Assistance from the Southern Alberta RCMP Emergency Response Team was utilized to safely clear the residence.
The home and the person's vehicle were searched which resulted in the seizure of:
- Approximately $8 000 in cash
- Approximately 17 grams of suspected cocaine with an estimated street value of $1 700
- Approximately 70 grams of suspected fentanyl with an estimated street value of $13 930
- Approximately 41 grams of suspected methamphetamine with an estimated street value of $2490
- Two semi-automatic .22 caliber handguns.
Both individuals were transported to the Strathmore Detachment. The 22-year-old woman is a resident of Strathmore and was released to appear in Provincial Court on a future date to face three counts of Trafficking in a Controlled Substance.
The male identified as David Vanderlaan, a 49 year old resident of Strathmore was held for a bail hearing and charged with 20 offences including:
- Possession of a Controlled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking X 3
- Trafficking in a Controlled Substance
- Possession of a Controlled Substance
- Possession of a Loaded Prohibited Firearm
- Knowing Possession of a Prohibited Firearm without a License X 2
- Possession of a Prohibited Firearm Contrary to Prohibition Order X2
- Carless Handling of a Prohibited Firearm X 2
- Failure to Comply with a Condition of a Probation Order X 3
- Failure to Comply with a Condition of a Release Order X 5
Vanderlaan was remanded into custody to appear in Provincial Court at a later date. At the time of his arrest, Vanderlaan was on release for another matter in Calgary on six drug charges and two firearms offences. He was also bound by a probation order resulting from convictions on drug, weapons, and conditions offences.
“The results of this investigation are a culmination of the dedicated efforts of our Detachment members to keep our community safe from the harms of the illicit drug trade. I’d like to pass along my thanks to the community for their support and assistance in this investigation which helped lead to the arrests and seizures made in this investigation,” said Strathmore RCMP Detachment Commander Staff Sergeant Mark Wielgosz.
If you have any information regarding criminal activity in your neighbourhood, including the trafficking of drugs, please contact the Strathmore RCMP at 403-934-3968. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com , or by using the "P3 Tips" app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to email@example.com